6875 Boulevard Lasalle
Ph.D., C. Psych.
James McGill Professor, Department of Psychiatry, McGill University
Researcher/Clinical Psychologist, Douglas Mental Health University Institute
CRISP group: Comprehensive Research into Schizophrenia and Psychosis
The CRISP group is currently exploring several inter-related dimensions of schizophrenia and psychosis through the use of various clinical, neurocognitive and neuroimaging techniques, such as:
MRI and fMRI
Cognitive behavioural therapy
Our approach is motivated by a desire to better understand negative and cognitive symptoms that often characterize schizophrenia (e.g. memory difficulties, avolition, anhedonia, poor insight, etc.) and to develop research programs that will have significant clinical applications.
More specifically, the laboratory studies:
Neurocognitive and neuroimaging markers of remission in first episode psychosis
Biological and psychological determinants of insight in schizophrenia
Cognitive behavioural therapy for social anxiety in psychosis
Cognitive remediation therapy in schizophrenia
Cognitive neuroscience of episodic memory in schizophrenia
1. Benoit, A., Malla, A.K., Joober, R., Bherer, L. &Lepage, M. (in press). Cognitive deficits characterization using the CogState Research Battery in first-episode psychosis patients. Schizophrenia Research: Cognition.
2. Buchy, L., Hawco, C., Joober, R., Malla, A.&Lepage, M. (in press). Cognitive insight in first-episode psychosis: Further evidence for a role of the ventrolateral prefrontal cortex. Schizophrenia Research.
3. Lepage, M., Hawco, C. & *Bodnar M. (in press). Relational memory: a neurocognitive marker of schizophrenia? JAMA Psychiatry.
4. Montreuil, T., Malla, A.K., Joober, R., Bélanger, C., Myhr, G. &Lepage, M. (in press) Manualized group cognitive behavioral intervention for social anxiety in First- Episode Psychosis. International Journal of Group Psychotherapy.
5. Hawco, C., Buchy, L., Bodnar, M., Izadi, S., Dell’Elce, J., Messina, K., Joober, R., Malla, A. &Lepage, M. (2015). Source retrieval is not properly differentiated from object retrieval in early schizophrenia: an fMRI study using virtual reality. NeuroImage Clinical, 7:336-346.
6. Benoit, A., *Bodnar, M., Malla, A.K., Joober, R., Bherer, L. &Lepage, M. (2014). Changes in memory performance over a 12-month period in relation to achieving symptomatic remission after a first episode psychosis. Schizophrenia Research, 153:103-108.
7. Bodnar, M., *Hovington, C.L., *Buchy, L., Malla, A.K., Joober, R. &Lepage, M. (2014). Cortical thinning in temporo-parietal junction in non-affective first-episode of psychosis patients with persistent negative symptoms. PlosOne, 9(6): e101372.
8. Lepage, M., Bodnar M., & Bowie, C. (2014). Neurocognition: Clinical and Functional Outcomes in Schizophrenia. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 59: 5-12
9. Cassidy, C., Buchy, L., Bodnar, M., Dell’Elce, Choudry, Z., Fathalli, F., Fox, R., Sengupta, S., Iyer, S., Ad-Dab’bagh, Y., Evans, A., Malla, A., Lepage, M. & Joober, R. (2014). Association of a risk allele of ANK3 with lower cognitive performance and cortical thinning in patients with first episode psychosis. Journal of Psychiatry & Neuroscience, 39:31-39.
10. Hawco, C., Berlim, M.T. &Lepage, M. (2013). The dorsolateral prefrontal cortex plays a role in self-initiated elaborative cognitive processing during episodic memory encoding: rTMS evidence. PlosOne, 8(9): e73789.
11. Hovington, C.L., *Bodnar, M, Joober, R., Malla, A. &Lepage, M. (2013). Impairment in verbal memory in first episode psychosis patients with persistent negative symptoms. Schizophrenia Research, 147:223-229.
12. Bodnar, M., Achim, A.M., Malla, A., Joober, R., Benoit, A., Sutton, H. & Lepage, M. (2012). Functional magnetic resonance imaging correlates of memory encoding in relation to achieving remission in first-episode schizophrenia. British Journal of Psychiatry, 200:300-307.
13. Hovington, C.L., Bodnar, M, Joober, R., Malla, A. & Lepage, M. (2012). Identifying persistent negative symptoms in first episode psychosis. BMC Psychiatry, 12(1):224. DOI:10.1186/1471-244X-12-224.
14. Lepage, M., Sergerie, K., Benoit, A., Czechowska, Y., Dickie, E. & Armony, J.L. (2011). Emotional face processing and flat affect in schizophrenia: Functional and structural neural correlates. Psychological Medicine, 41:1833-1844.
James McGill Professor Award (2013-2020)
FRQS Senior Research Scholar (2010-2014)
Clinical Scholarship, Beck Institute for Cognitive Therapy & Research (2010)
Dr. Heinz Lehmann Award, Douglas Institute Foundation (2010)
Diplomé émérite: Department of Psychology, Université du Quebec à Montreal (2010)
Canadian College of Neuropsychopharmacology (CCNP) - Young Investigator Award (2007)
Dean’s Research Recognition Award, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University (2006)
FRQS Research Scholar Junior 2 (2006 - 2010)
FRQS Research Scholar Junior 1(2002 - 2006)
National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD) Young Investigator Award (2002)
Karyne Anselmo, M.Sc; ext. 3296; firstname.lastname@example.org
Casandra Roy Gelencser, B.A.; ext. 3386; email@example.com
- Vickie Auclair, M. Sc; PhD candidate, Psychology;firstname.lastname@example.org
- Audrey Benoit, B.Sc; PhD candidate, Psychology; ext. 3389 email@example.com
- Michael Bodnar, PhD; PhD candidate, Psychology; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Synthia Guimond, M.Sc; PhD candidate, Psychology; ext. 3389;email@example.com
- Sue Konsztowicz; PhD candidate, Clinical Psychology; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carolina Makowski, B.Sc; M Sc Student, Neuroscience;email@example.com
- Joseph (Jake) Shenker, B. Sc; M.Sc Student, Neuroscience, ext. 3389 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sophie Béland, B.A.; ext. 3427;email@example.com
In the news
Manual-Protocol Inspired Technique for Improving Automated MR Image Segmentation during Label Fusion. Front Neurosci. 2016;10:325.
Recollection rejection of new items in individuals with first-episode psychosis. J Abnorm Psychol. 2016;125(1):104-13.
Cortical thickness and low insight into symptoms in enduring schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 2016;170(1):66-72.
Investigation of white matter abnormalities in first episode psychosis patients with persistent negative symptoms. Psychiatry Res. 2015;233(3):402-8.
Relational Memory as a Possible Neurocognitive Marker of Schizophrenia. JAMA Psychiatry. 2015;72(9):946-7.
Cognitive insight in first-episode schizophrenia: further evidence for a role of the ventrolateral prefrontal cortex. Schizophr Res. 2015;166(1-3):65-8.
The relative contribution of cognition and symptomatic remission to functional outcome following treatment of a first episode of psychosis. J Clin Psychiatry. 2014;75(6):e566-72.
Do reward-processing deficits in schizophrenia-spectrum disorders promote cannabis use? An investigation of physiological response to natural rewards and drug cues. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2014;39(5):339-47.
Multi-atlas segmentation of the whole hippocampus and subfields using multiple automatically generated templates. Neuroimage. 2014;101:494-512.
Neurocognition: clinical and functional outcomes in schizophrenia. Can J Psychiatry. 2014;59(1):5-12.
Predictors of cognition in first episode psychosis. Schizophr Res. 2014;152(1):164-9.
TCF4 gene polymorphism and cognitive performance in patients with first episode psychosis. Schizophr Res. 2014;152(1):124-9.
Neural correlates of recognition memory of social information in people with schizophrenia. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2014;39(2):97-109.
Association of a risk allele of ANK3 with cognitive performance and cortical thickness in patients with first-episode psychosis. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2014;39(1):31-9.
Functional neural correlates of social approval in schizophrenia. Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci. 2016;11(3):445-57.
MRI-Guided Derivation of the Input Function for PET Kinetic Modeling. PET Clin. 2016;11(2):193-202.
Examining cortical thickness in male and female DWI offenders. Neurosci Lett. 2016;619:189-95.
Does the Beck Cognitive Insight Scale Predict Response to Cognitive Remediation in Schizophrenia? Schizophr Res Treatment. 2016;2016:6371856.
[Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and the Treatment of ADHD in Adults]. Sante Ment Que;41(1):291-311.
A study on negative and depressive symptom prevalence in individuals at ultra-high risk for psychosis. Early Interv Psychiatry. 2016.