6875 Boulevard Lasalle
Ph.D., C. Psych.
James McGill Professor, Department of Psychiatry, McGill University
Researcher/Clinical Psychologist, Douglas Mental Health University Institute
CRISP group: Comprehensive Research into Schizophrenia and Psychosis
The CRISP group is currently exploring several inter-related dimensions of schizophrenia and psychosis through the use of various clinical, neurocognitive and neuroimaging techniques, such as:
MRI and fMRI
Cognitive behavioural therapy
Our approach is motivated by a desire to better understand negative and cognitive symptoms that often characterize schizophrenia (e.g. memory difficulties, avolition, anhedonia, poor insight, etc.) and to develop research programs that will have significant clinical applications.
More specifically, the laboratory studies:
Neurocognitive and neuroimaging markers of remission in first episode psychosis
Biological and psychological determinants of insight in schizophrenia
Cognitive behavioural therapy for social anxiety in psychosis
Cognitive remediation therapy in schizophrenia
Cognitive neuroscience of episodic memory in schizophrenia
1. Benoit, A., Malla, A.K., Joober, R., Bherer, L. &Lepage, M. (in press). Cognitive deficits characterization using the CogState Research Battery in first-episode psychosis patients. Schizophrenia Research: Cognition.
2. Buchy, L., Hawco, C., Joober, R., Malla, A.&Lepage, M. (in press). Cognitive insight in first-episode psychosis: Further evidence for a role of the ventrolateral prefrontal cortex. Schizophrenia Research.
3. Lepage, M., Hawco, C. & *Bodnar M. (in press). Relational memory: a neurocognitive marker of schizophrenia? JAMA Psychiatry.
4. Montreuil, T., Malla, A.K., Joober, R., Bélanger, C., Myhr, G. &Lepage, M. (in press) Manualized group cognitive behavioral intervention for social anxiety in First- Episode Psychosis. International Journal of Group Psychotherapy.
5. Hawco, C., Buchy, L., Bodnar, M., Izadi, S., Dell’Elce, J., Messina, K., Joober, R., Malla, A. &Lepage, M. (2015). Source retrieval is not properly differentiated from object retrieval in early schizophrenia: an fMRI study using virtual reality. NeuroImage Clinical, 7:336-346.
6. Benoit, A., *Bodnar, M., Malla, A.K., Joober, R., Bherer, L. &Lepage, M. (2014). Changes in memory performance over a 12-month period in relation to achieving symptomatic remission after a first episode psychosis. Schizophrenia Research, 153:103-108.
7. Bodnar, M., *Hovington, C.L., *Buchy, L., Malla, A.K., Joober, R. &Lepage, M. (2014). Cortical thinning in temporo-parietal junction in non-affective first-episode of psychosis patients with persistent negative symptoms. PlosOne, 9(6): e101372.
8. Lepage, M., Bodnar M., & Bowie, C. (2014). Neurocognition: Clinical and Functional Outcomes in Schizophrenia. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 59: 5-12
9. Cassidy, C., Buchy, L., Bodnar, M., Dell’Elce, Choudry, Z., Fathalli, F., Fox, R., Sengupta, S., Iyer, S., Ad-Dab’bagh, Y., Evans, A., Malla, A., Lepage, M. & Joober, R. (2014). Association of a risk allele of ANK3 with lower cognitive performance and cortical thinning in patients with first episode psychosis. Journal of Psychiatry & Neuroscience, 39:31-39.
10. Hawco, C., Berlim, M.T. &Lepage, M. (2013). The dorsolateral prefrontal cortex plays a role in self-initiated elaborative cognitive processing during episodic memory encoding: rTMS evidence. PlosOne, 8(9): e73789.
11. Hovington, C.L., *Bodnar, M, Joober, R., Malla, A. &Lepage, M. (2013). Impairment in verbal memory in first episode psychosis patients with persistent negative symptoms. Schizophrenia Research, 147:223-229.
12. Bodnar, M., Achim, A.M., Malla, A., Joober, R., Benoit, A., Sutton, H. & Lepage, M. (2012). Functional magnetic resonance imaging correlates of memory encoding in relation to achieving remission in first-episode schizophrenia. British Journal of Psychiatry, 200:300-307.
13. Hovington, C.L., Bodnar, M, Joober, R., Malla, A. & Lepage, M. (2012). Identifying persistent negative symptoms in first episode psychosis. BMC Psychiatry, 12(1):224. DOI:10.1186/1471-244X-12-224.
14. Lepage, M., Sergerie, K., Benoit, A., Czechowska, Y., Dickie, E. & Armony, J.L. (2011). Emotional face processing and flat affect in schizophrenia: Functional and structural neural correlates. Psychological Medicine, 41:1833-1844.
James McGill Professor Award (2013-2020)
FRQS Senior Research Scholar (2010-2014)
Clinical Scholarship, Beck Institute for Cognitive Therapy & Research (2010)
Dr. Heinz Lehmann Award, Douglas Institute Foundation (2010)
Diplomé émérite: Department of Psychology, Université du Quebec à Montreal (2010)
Canadian College of Neuropsychopharmacology (CCNP) - Young Investigator Award (2007)
Dean’s Research Recognition Award, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University (2006)
FRQS Research Scholar Junior 2 (2006 - 2010)
FRQS Research Scholar Junior 1(2002 - 2006)
National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD) Young Investigator Award (2002)
Karyne Anselmo, M.Sc; ext. 3296; email@example.com
Casandra Roy Gelencser, B.A.; ext. 3386; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vickie Auclair, M. Sc; PhD candidate, Psychology;email@example.com
- Audrey Benoit, B.Sc; PhD candidate, Psychology; ext. 3389 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Bodnar, PhD; PhD candidate, Psychology; email@example.com
- Synthia Guimond, M.Sc; PhD candidate, Psychology; ext. 3389;firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sue Konsztowicz; PhD candidate, Clinical Psychology; email@example.com
- Carolina Makowski, B.Sc; M Sc Student, Neuroscience;firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joseph (Jake) Shenker, B. Sc; M.Sc Student, Neuroscience, ext. 3389 email@example.com
- Sophie Béland, B.A.; ext. 3427;firstname.lastname@example.org
In the news
The Prevalence of Negative Symptoms Across the Stages of the Psychosis Continuum. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2019;27(1):15-32.
The role of illness engulfment in the association between insight and depressive symptomatology in schizophrenia. J Psychiatr Res. 2019;111:1-7.
Head motion: the dirty little secret of neuroimaging in psychiatry. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2019;44(1):62-68.
A NEET distinction: youths not in employment, education or training follow different pathways to illness and care in psychosis. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2018.
Progress of negative symptoms over the initial 5 years of a first episode of psychosis. Psychol Med. 2018:1-9.
Strategy for Semantic Association Memory (SESAME) training: Effects on brain functioning in schizophrenia. Psychiatry Res Neuroimaging. 2018;271:50-58.
Pathways to functional outcomes following a first episode of psychosis: The roles of premorbid adjustment, verbal memory and symptom remission. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2017:4867417747401.
Differing Time of Onset of Concurrent TMS-fMRI during Associative Memory Encoding: A Measure of Dynamic Connectivity. Front Hum Neurosci. 2017;11:404.
The relative contributions of social cognition and self-reflectiveness to clinical insight in enduring schizophrenia. Psychiatry Res. 2017;258:116-123.
Bipolar disorder risk gene FOXO6 modulates negative symptoms in schizophrenia: a neuroimaging genetics study. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2017;42(3):172-180.
Prefrontal activity and impaired memory encoding strategies in schizophrenia. J Psychiatr Res. 2017;91:64-73.
Smoking status and its relationship to demographic and clinical characteristics in first episode psychosis. J Psychiatr Res. 2017;85:83-90.
Polygenic Risk Score associated with specific symptom dimensions in first-episode psychosis. Schizophr Res. 2017;184:116-121.
Longitudinal trajectory of clinical insight and covariation with cortical thickness in first-episode psychosis. J Psychiatr Res. 2017;86:46-54.
Is cognitive insight relevant to functional capacity in schizophrenia? Schizophr Res. 2017;184:150-151.
Manual-Protocol Inspired Technique for Improving Automated MR Image Segmentation during Label Fusion. Front Neurosci. 2016;10:325.