Register for the 2023 VIVA Mental Health competition!
This competition allows students and postdocs of the Douglas Research Centre to gain experience in communicating their research topic to a wider audience. The winners of this year’s competition will move on to the provincial finals of the Science POP competition.
You can select from two challenges; these two competitions will be held in parallel, with different objectives and formats.
1. “Popularization” challenge
In a 5-minute maximum presentation (in English or in French) candidates will use their creativity to explain a central element of their research project, using accessible language.
2. “Valorization” challenge
In 2-minute maximum presentations (in English or in French), and in an accompanying press-release, candidates will highlight the novel aspects of their research project and its short- and long-term benefits.
3. Mobilization challenge
The candidates will present a 10-minute TEDx-style talk. They are permitted to use an unlimited number of slides, as well as one prop.
Please consult the guide for detailed information about each of these challenges (format and duration, visual support, possible topics).
The competition is open to graduate students (Master’s and doctoral levels) and postdoctoral trainees whose primary supervisor is a principal investigator at the Douglas Research Centre. Cash prizes will be given to the top few presenters of each challenge within the Douglas VIVA competition. The trainee winning the first prize in each of the two challenges will also participate in the Quebec Science POP finals.
Spots are limited to 6 applicants for each of the challenges held at the Douglas. Applicants will be selected among those who will submit the form below.
Timeline of the competition
- February 8, 2023: Submission of registration requests (via this form)
- Mid-February 2023: Selection of the applicants for each challenge
- February 2023: Preparation of the oral presentations, et creation of a short video of you presenting the talk (VIVA Studio available for this, if needed); short training sessions on lay communication and knowledge transfer
- March 2023: Submission of the videos, and feedback based these videos
- Avril 2023: Finalization of the presentations on the basis of the feedback
- May 2, 2023, 13h-15h: VIVA Award event (in person, at the Douglas)
- May 2023 (date to be determined): provincial Science POP finals, in person, in Montreal (for the winner of each Douglas VIVA challenge)
For any questions, contact us at: email@example.com