Mimi Israel MD, MSc
- Theme-Based Group:Youth Mental Health and Early Intervention
- Division:Clinical Research
6875 Boulevard LaSalle
Researcher, Douglas Research Centre
Psychiatrist, Eating Disorders Program, Douglas Mental Health University Institute
Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry, McGill University
Through the research arm of the program, we have recently been studying:
- Genetic and epigenetic processes thought to influence the development of eating disorders and associated traits and symptoms
- Factors that predict response during and after specialized ED treatments
- Efficacy of a health-care system-wide effort to transfer specialized knowledge on ED treatment to 1st and 2nd line services
- Utility of neuro-modulation techniques in ED treatment
- Reach and impact of a Ministerial Charter aimed at guiding the actions of the fashion industry (and related “image” industries) that impact upon social inducements towards thin body image and excessive dieting
1. Israel, M., Klein, M., Pruessner, J., Thaler, L., Spilka, M., Steiger, H. Efanov, S., Ouellette, A.S., Berlim, M., Ali, N., Beaudry, T., Van den Eynde, F., Walker, C.D., Steiger, H. N-back task performance and corresponding brain-activation patterns in women with restrictive and bulimic eating-disorder variants: Preliminary findings, Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging, Available online 7 February 2015, ISSN 0925-4927.
2. Booj, L., Casey, K., Antunes, J., Szyf, M., Joober, R., Israel, M., Steiger, H. (accepted). DNA methylation in individuals with Anorexia Nervosa and in matched normal-eater controls: A genome-wide Study. Int J Eat Disord. 2015 Mar 23.
3. Thaler, L., Wilson, S., Coelho, J.S., Mazanek Antunes, J., Israel, M., Steiger, H. (2014) Mandating weekly weight gain in a day treatment program for eating disorders. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 47 (5), 500-6.
4. Steiger, H., Labonté, B., Groleau, P., Turecki, G., Israel. M. (2013). Methylation of the glucocorticoid receptor gene promoter in bulimic women: Associations with borderline personality disorder, suicidality and exposure to childhood abuse. International Journal of Eating Disorders. Apr; 46(3):246-55.
5. Israël M, Steiger H, Kolivakis T, McGregor L, Sadikot AF. (2010) Deep Brain Stimulation in the Subgenual Cingulate Cortex for an Intractable Eating Disorder. Biol Psychiatry. May 1;67(9):e53-4. Epub 2009 Dec 30.
6. Steiger H, Joober R, Gauvin L, Bruce KR, Richardson J, Israel M, Groleau P. (2008) Serotonin-System Polymorphism (5-HTTLPR and-1438 G/A) and Responses of Patients with Bulimic Syndromes to Multimodal Treatments. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 69, 1565-1571.
7. Rosval, L., Steiger, H., Bruce, K. R., Israel, M., Richardson, J., & Aubut, M. (2006). Impulsivity in women with eating disorders: Problem of response inhibition, planning, or attention? Int J Eat Disord 39 (7) 590-593.
8. Steiger, H., Richardson, J., Israël, M., Young, S.N., Ng Ying Kin, N.M.K., Bruce, K.R., Mansour, S. Parent, A.M. (2006). Reduced density of platelet binding sites for [3H-] paroxetine in remitted bulimic women. Neuropsychopharmacology. 30, 1028-1032.
9. Steiger, H., Gauvin, L., Joober, R., Israel, M., Ng Ying Kin, N.M.K., Bruce, K., Richardson, J., Young, S., & Hakim, J. (2006). Intrafamilial correspondences on platelet [3H-] paroxetine-binding indices in bulimic probands and their unaffected first-degree relatives. Neuropsychopharmacology.
10. Steiger, H., Israël, M., Gauvin, L., Ng Ying Kin, N.M.K., & Young, S.N. (2003). Implications of compulsive and impulsive traits for serotonin status in women with bulimia nervosa. Psychiatry Research, 120, 219-229.
11. Steiger, H., Gauvin, L., Israël, M., Ng Ying Kin, N.M.K., Koerner, N., Paris, J., & Young, S.N., (2001). Association of serotonin and cortisol indices with childhood abuse in Bulimia Nervosa. Archives of General Psychiatry, 58, 837-841.
Dr. Israel is an Associate Professor of Psychiatry at McGill a fellow of the Academy of Eating Disorders and distinguished Fellow of the Canadian Psychiatric Association. She has been a treating psychiatrist and medical director of the Douglas Eating Disorders Program since 1998 and is involved in the clinical, teaching, research and knowledge transfer missions of the program. In addition, she is a consultant psychiatrist to first-line community mental health care teams. Dr. Israel is also Chair of the Morbidity and Mortality committee at the Douglas Mental Health University Institute and Chair of the Student Promotion Committee for McGill’s Faculty of Medicine.
Dr. Israel was chief of the department of psychiatry of the Montreal West Island Integrated University Health and Social Services Centre from 2016-2018; Psychiatrist-in-Chief at the Douglas Mental Health University Institute from 2011-2016 and Chair of the Department of Psychiatry of McGill University from 2008 to 2015. She has also been a Royal College Examiner for Psychiatry, has chaired the Curriculum Committee for the McGill Department of Psychiatry, and has been vice-president of the Regional Table of Medical Specialists of Montreal. A recipient of four McGill University teaching awards, including the 2004 McGill Department of Medicine Faculty Honour List for Educational Excellence, Dr. Israel was also presented with the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill Exemplary Psychiatrist Award in 1998, the grand prize of the Quebec Medical College of Physicians in 2006, the Persillier-Lachapelle Career Achievement Award; Quebec Ministry of Health and Social Services in 2013 and the Quebec Psychiatric Association Heinz E. Lehmann prize for excellence in psychiatry in 2018.
- 2018 - Heinz E. Lehmann prize for excellence in psychiatry. Quebec Psychiatric Association
- 2013 - Prix reconnaissance de carrière Persillier-Lachapelle du réseau de la santé et des services sociaux (the Quebec Ministry of Health and Social Services Persillier-Lachapelle Career Achievement Award)
- 2011 - Distinguished Fellow of the Canadian Psychiatric Association
- 2008 - Health and Science finalist Women’s Y Foundation Women of Distinction
- 2006 - Grand Prize
- 2006 - Quebec Medical College of Physicians
- 2006 - Fellow of the Academy for Eating Disorders
- 2005 - McGill Faculty of Medicine Osler Fellowship
- 2004 - McGill Department of Medicine, Faculty Honour List for Educational Excellence, in recognition of contribution to teaching and educational leadership and innovation in the Faculty of Medicine
- 1998 - National Alliance for the mentally ill
- 1998 - Exemplary Psychiatrist Award
- 1998 - Undergraduate teaching award for outstanding teaching in psychiatry, McGill University, Faculty of Medicine
- 1997 - Postgraduate Teaching Award, McGill University, Department of Psychiatry
- 1990 - Postgraduate Teaching Award, McGill University, Department of Psychiatry
Howard Steiger PhD
Lea Thaler PhD
Annie St. Hilaire PhD
Predictors of non-completion of a day treatment program for adults with eating disorders. Eur Eat Disord Rev. 2021.
Anorexia nervosa and the long-term risk of mortality in women. World Psychiatry. 2021;20(3):448-449.
Plasma levels of one-carbon metabolism nutrients in women with anorexia nervosa. Int J Eat Disord. 2020;53(9):1534-1538.
Methylation of the OXTR gene in women with anorexia nervosa: Relationship to social behavior. Eur Eat Disord Rev. 2019.
Correction to: A Tertiary-Care/Primary-Care Partnership Aimed at Improving Care for People with Eating Disorders. Community Ment Health J. 2018.
A Tertiary-Care/Primary-Care Partnership Aimed at Improving Care for People with Eating Disorders. Community Ment Health J. 2018.
Autonomy support and autonomous motivation in the outpatient treatment of adults with an eating disorder. Int J Eat Disord. 2017;50(9):1058-1066.
Is gambling disorder associated with impulsivity traits measured by the UPPS-P and is this association moderated by sex and age? Compr Psychiatry. 2017;72:106-113.
An examination of the role of autonomous versus controlled motivation in predicting inpatient treatment outcome for anorexia nervosa. Int J Eat Disord. 2016;49(6):626-9.
Orexin and sleep quality in anorexia nervosa: Clinical relevance and influence on treatment outcome. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2016;65:102-8.
Non-suicidal Self-injury in Different Eating Disorder Types: Relevance of Personality Traits and Gender. Eur Eat Disord Rev. 2015;23(6):553-60.
DNA methylation in individuals with anorexia nervosa and in matched normal-eater controls: A genome-wide study. Int J Eat Disord. 2015;48(7):874-82.
Differences and similarities between bulimia nervosa, compulsive buying and gambling disorder. Eur Eat Disord Rev. 2015;23(2):111-8.
Methylation of BDNF in women with bulimic eating syndromes: associations with childhood abuse and borderline personality disorder. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2014;54:43-9.
Mandating weekly weight gain in a day treatment program for eating disorders. Int J Eat Disord. 2014;47(5):500-6.
- 1 of 2