Diane B. Boivin MD, PhD
- Theme-Based Group:Sleep and Biological Rhythms
- Division:Human Neuroscience
6875 Boulevard LaSalle
Founder/Director, Centre for Study and Treatment of Circadian Rhythms, Douglas Research Centre
Researcher, Douglas Research Centre
Full Professor, Department of Psychiatry, McGill University
Study and treatment of human circadian rhythms
The Centre’s mission is to develop innovative solutions for circadian rhythms disorders. Our clinical research priorities are management of fatigue and sleep disturbances associated with atypical work schedules and jet lag. We also explore the disruptions of circadian clocks in these conditions and in several psychiatric and medical disorders.
Dr. Boivin’s research interests cover the following:
- Atypical work schedules maladaptation;
- Fatigue management risk systems for shift workers;
- Disruptions of circadian clocks in shift work and jet lag;
- Role of circadian rhythms in psychiatric and neurologic disorders;
- Interactions between the menstrual and circadian cycles;
- Circadian variation of cardiovascular functions.
- Cuesta M*, Boudreau P*, Cermakian N, Boivin DB. Skin temperature rythms in humans respond to changes in the timing of sleep and light, Journal of Biological Rhythms (In press).
- Cole K, Tabbane K, Boivin DB, Joober, R. An algorithmic approach to the management of insomnia in patients with schizophrenia. Annals of Clinical Psychiatry; 2017, 29(2):133-144.
- Cuesta M*, Boudreau P*, Dubeau-Laramée G, Cermakian N, Boivin DB. Simulated night shift disrupts circadian rhythms of immune functions in humans, The Journal of Immunology 2016, 196(6):2466-2475.
- Boivin DB, Shechter A*, Boudreau P*, Begum EA*, Ng Ying-Kin NMK, Diurnal and circadian variation of sleep and alertness in men versus naturally cycling women, PNAS, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1524484113
- Zandi AS*, Boudreau P*, Boivin DB, Dumont GA, Identification of Scalp EEG Circadian Variation Using a Novel Correlation Sum Measure, Journal of Neural Engineering, 2015, 12(5).
- Cuesta M*, Cermakian N, Boivin DB, Glucocorticoids entrain human peripheral circadian clocks, The FASEB Journal, 2015; 29:1360-1370.
- Boivin DB, Boudreau P*, Impacts of shift work on sleep and circadian rhythms, Pathologie Biologie, 2014, 62:292-301.
- Boivin DB, Boudreau P*. Les rythmes circadiens et l'insomnie-Une approche pour intégrer la barrière du temps. Insomnie-Conférences scientifiques, Société Canadienne du Sommeil (SCS), 2014, 2(4).
- Boudreau P*, Dumont GA, Boivin DB. Circadian Adaptation to Night Shift Work Influences Sleep, Performance, Mood and the Autonomic Modulation of the Heart. PloS ONE, 2013, 8(7):e70813.
- Boudreau P*, Dumont GA, Boivin DB. Circadian Variation of Heart Rate Variability across Sleep Stages. Sleep. 2013, 36(12):1919-28
- Shechter A*, Lespérance P, Ng Ying Kin NMK, Boivin DB. Pilot investigation of the circadian plasma melatonin rhythm across the menstrual cycle in a small group of women with premenstrual dysphoric disorder. PloS ONE, 2012, 7(12):e51929.
- Shechter A*, Lespérance P, Ng Ying Kin NMK, Boivin DB. Nocturnal Polysomnographic Sleep across the Menstrual Cycle in Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. Sleep Med, 2012, 13(8):1071-1078.
- Boudreau P*, Wei HY, Dumont G, Boivin DB. A circadian rhythm in heart rate variability contributes to the increased cardiac sympathovagal response to awakening in the morning, Chronobiol Int, 2012, 29(6):757-68.
- Boivin DB, Boudreau P, Tremblay GM, Phototherapy and orange-tinted goggles for night shift adaptation of police officers on patrol, Chronobiol Int, 2012, 29(5)629-640.
- Boivin DB, Boudreau P, James FO, Ng Ying Kin NMK. Photic resetting in night shift work: impact on nurses sleep, Chronobiol Intl, 2012, 29(5):619-628.
Dr Diane. B. Boivin is Professor of Psychiatry at the Faculty of Medicine of McGill University and Founder/Director of the Centre for Study and Treatment of Circadian Rhythms at the Douglas Mental Health University Institute. She completed her medical studies at Laval University in 1985 and conducts research as an expert in sleep disorders and circadian rhythms since 1986. She obtained her Ph.D. in neurological sciences at University of Montreal in 1993. From 1992 to 1997, she completed a postdoctoral clinical/research fellowship in Boston in human chronobiology at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, affiliated to Harvard Medical School. Her research interests cover: maladaptation to shift work and jet lag, fatigue risk management system for shift workers, the role of circadian rhythms in psychiatric and neurologic conditions, the relationships between the menstrual and circadian cycles, as well as the circadian variation of cardiovascular functions.
Throughout her career, she won multiple prizes and awards such as the Lieutenant Governor’ Gold Medal Award of Canada for her Ph.D. thesis, the Young Investigator Award from the American Sleep Research Society, an Honorary Distinction Award for Specialized Medicine from the Association des Médecins de Langue Française du Canada and a total of 15 salary awards from fundings agencies such as the Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR) and the Fonds de Recherche Québec-Santé Québec (FRQS).
During her career as a researcher, she has written over 300 scientific publications. Dr Boivin is an editorial board member for the journals Sleep, Sleep Medicine, Chronobiology International, and Journal of Biological Rhythms. She is guest editor for the journal Sleep Medicine on a 2007 special issue on circadian rhythms disorders. In 2012, she published a book for the general public on sleep and its disorders entitled "Sleep and You. Sleep Better, Live Better.". This book serves as a useful clinical tool for the management of sleep disorders patients.
The book is available here:
Lieutenant Governor’s Gold Medal of Canada
Young Investigator Award from the American Sleep Research Society,
The Prix des médecins de cœur et d’action from the Association des médecins de langue française du Canada
A total of 15 salary awards from funding agencies such as the Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR) and the Fonds de recherche du Québec-Santé (FRQS)
Philippe Boudreau, B.Ing.,Ph.D. - Post-Doctoral Fellow
Laura Kervezee,Ph.D. - Post-Doctoral Fellow
Fernando Gonzales, M.D. - M.Sc. Candidate
Rafael Pérez Medina Carballo, M.D. - M.Sc. Candidate
Johanne Gauthier, P.Eng. - Research Coordinator
Alexandre Gervais, M.Sc. - Research Assistant
Graduate Students( M.SC., Ph.D.) and Post doctoral Fellows
How effective are Fatigue Risk Management Systems (FRMS)? A review. Accid Anal Prev. 2022;165:106398.
Disturbance of the Circadian System in Shift Work and Its Health Impact. J Biol Rhythms. 2021:7487304211064218.
The Assessment of Circadian Rhythms Within the Immune System. Methods Mol Biol. 2021;2130:29-51.
Effects of Shift Work on the Eating Behavior of Police Officers on Patrol. Nutrients. 2020;12(4).
Individual metabolomic signatures of circadian misalignment during simulated night shifts in humans. PLoS Biol. 2019;17(6):e3000303.
The Phase-Shifting Effect of Bright Light Exposure on Circadian Rhythmicity in the Human Transcriptome. J Biol Rhythms. 2019:748730418821776.
Impact of Shift Work on the Circadian Timing System and Health in Women. Sleep Med Clin. 2018;13(3):295-306.
Alertness and psychomotor performance levels of marine pilots on an irregular work roster. Chronobiol Int. 2018:1-12.
Simulated night shift work induces circadian misalignment of the human peripheral blood mononuclear cell transcriptome. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2018;115(21):5540-5545.
Rapid resetting of human peripheral clocks by phototherapy during simulated night shift work. Sci Rep. 2017;7(1):16310.
Treating delayed sleep-wake phase disorder in young adults. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2017;42(5):E9-E10.
Dopamine and light: effects on facial emotion recognition. J Psychopharmacol (Oxford). 2017:269881117711707.
Skin Temperature Rhythms in Humans Respond to Changes in the Timing of Sleep and Light. J Biol Rhythms. 2017;32(3):257-273.
An algorithmic approach to the management of insomnia in patients with schizophrenia. Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2017;29(2):133-144.
Diurnal and circadian variation of sleep and alertness in men vs. naturally cycling women. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2016;113(39):10980-5.
Simulated Night Shift Disrupts Circadian Rhythms of Immune Functions in Humans. J Immunol. 2016;196(6):2466-75.
Identification of scalp EEG circadian variation using a novel correlation sum measure. J Neural Eng. 2015;12(5):056004.
Enhanced automated sleep spindle detection algorithm based on synchrosqueezing. Med Biol Eng Comput. 2015;53(7):635-44.
Glucocorticoids entrain molecular clock components in human peripheral cells. FASEB J. 2015;29(4):1360-70.
Impacts of shift work on sleep and circadian rhythms. Pathol Biol. 2014;62(5):292-301.
- 1 of 2